You Have Never Been More Important
As the job market is becoming increasingly complex and no one is certain where the next opportunity or challenge will occur, it is becoming more and more important to be able to successfully and continually brand yourself in the professional world. It is that branding that you will be showing during your interviews and it is exactly it which will succeed or fail to convince the recruiters you are right for the job.
Jan 13, 2012
As there has been much talk about social media recently, here is how the 7 major principles of social media marketing can apply to building and crafting your successful professional brand.
1. Identify – we all have people we admire. Start reflecting on those around you who have a track record of successful branding – both companies and individuals.
2. Analyze – Can you spot what those you chose are doing right? What strengths are they demonstrating? Try to go deep beneath the surface and to understand the equation behind their success.
3. Follow – let this not be a one-time thing. Keep an eye on that successful individual – visit their Facebook page, their LinkedIn, their blog. Identify and note elements of personal branding success.
4. Strategize – it is not a matter of repeating what you have seen. To build a successful and permanent professional brand for yourself, regardless of if you are looking for your own business or for a job, you will need to make small steps. What are your objectives? What do others seem to do to achieve similar objectives? How can you implement their example in your personal experience? Make sure you commit to building your image and to specific times and dates that you will be doing so. This will help you get organized and move forward faster.
5. Do it – now that you know what you want and when you want it you will need to start doing it. You might be surprised that this is much easier than the previous steps as you are now moving towards a specific goal with clear mild stones.
6. Measure – not all is going to work 100% and always. Make sure you note any changes that your new you is provoking. Are there more phonecalls now asking you for an interview? Do you get more email responses? Have the questions on your interview moved from general to specific and more in-depth? All of these could be an indicator that your transformation is gaining power.
7. Do it again – building your personal brand is never a one time thing. As you grow and develop gaining new experiences your personal brand will evolve and you will be able to change and add to it. Do not forget to do that and you will certainly see a difference.